Checklist for Ordering a Greyline Performance Antenna System
Radio Operators ask, "What do I need for a complete system?"
Here's a good Checklist:
- Choose your Greyline Antenna. DX Vertical Antenna or DX Flagpole Antenna. Both are vertical dipoles (VDA). No radials are required for either selection and one is stealth. (You guess which one)
- Choose your desired + required height of vertical antenna: 12-16-20-24-28 feet. Compare them, here.
- Choosing your Remote Tuner selection should be determined by your power level needs or frequency usage needs. Some ATUs offer 160-6M, others 160-10M, typically. Note that impedance ranges are wider in some tuners which may help you on 80-160M. All tuners we have selected on our website tune 160-10M or 160-6M HF radio coverage, most will tune as low as 160M. This includes non Amateur Radio frequency segments such as Emergency Services Agency bands.
- Ground Kit: This is included with your antenna purchase (at this time).
- Feed-line Kit: This is included with your antenna purchase.
- Flag Kit (if you desire a Flagpole) is included when you purchase a Flagpole Antenna version. *You can add a Flag kit to a Greyline HF Vertical Antenna later if you wish.
- RF Choke: This is included in the Feedline kit to address CMC (common mode current) up to 100 Watts.
- RF Choke Upgrade: Running more than 100 Watts? You might wish to add additional RF Choking. We have 500W and 3500W rated versions available. A second choke is helpful on the radio end (behind the radio or amplifier) for Military-Grade RF Choking, and to remove local QRN picked up on the coax along the way back to your radio. This is a popular choice for those wanting every dB possible on TX and RX. This too can be added later, as needed.
- Coax to Shack: Consider using LMR-400 or better. The Coax length between the radio and the antenna site is inconsequential and does not change the performance of the antenna. There is no need for any "matching coax length" in our system. This is essentially a vertical dipole antenna.
- Note on Bundles: Bundles are meant to direct your thinking towards the complete antenna system. Add each desired system element to your cart separately for the best price.
- All Kits are currently included in any Antenna purchase. This includes the Ground Kit, Feed Kit, RF Choke, and Flag Kit.
- Shipping is included in the USA. DX shipments are typically 50-75% off UPS/FedEx/DHL rates based on your QTH. Estimated $75-150 USD to Europe.
Graphic: Performance difference between the antennas: Looking carefully at the graph for the angle of signal and antenna gain comparisons you'll notice incremental increases in depth of signal penetration, on the lower bands mainly.
Key: *80M-red | 40M-blue | 20M-green | 15M-orange
See that? Even the 12' vertical antenna holds its own, on 80M. Notice the 20 and 28' has an even lower angle and punch for deeper DX performance. (to plot the 24' you can simply imagine it's between the 20' and 28'.
See our Customer Reviews.
Customers report working 160-6M from 16' DX Flagpoles. That's something.
We're honored to do our part one radio op at a time. Remember, Ham Radio is Fun Again!
It's a pleasure to serve you with Stronger and Smarter Antennas d'Elegance.
Contact us with any questions you may have! We'll see you on the air soon...
73 Greyline Performance